INCITS Seeks Additional US Experts for INCITS/BigData, US TAG to JTC 1/WG 9 on Big Data
The InterNational Committee for Information Technology Standards (INCITS) is coordinating US efforts to ISO/IEC JTC 1/WG 9 on Big Data and seeks additional US experts to join the US TAG or mirror committee, INCITS/BigData.
JTC 1 published a preliminary report on the emerging area of Big Data in 2014.
Program of Work - JTC 1/WG 9 on Big Data was established at the November 2014 JTC 1 Plenary with the following terms of reference:
- Serve as the focus of and proponent for JTC 1's Big Data standardization program.
- Develop foundational standards for Big Data ---including reference architecture and vocabulary standards---for guiding Big Data efforts throughout JTC 1 upon which other standards can be developed.
- Develop other Big Data standards that build on the foundational standards when relevant JTC 1 subgroups that could address these standards do not exist or are unable to develop them.
- Identify gaps in Big Data standardization.
- Develop and maintain liaisons with all relevant JTC 1 entities as well as with any other JTC 1 subgroup that may propose work related to Big Data in the future.
- Identify JTC 1 (and other organization) entities that are developing standards and related material that contribute to Big Data, and where appropriate, investigate ongoing and potential new work that contributes to Big Data.
- Engage with the community outside of JTC 1 to grow the awareness of and encourage engagement in JTC 1 Big Data standardization efforts within JTC 1, forming liaisons as is needed.
Meetings - Report, Recommendations and Agenda for Upcoming Meeting
The most recent JTC 1/WG 9 meeting was held 12-15 July 2016 in Beijing, China (see the meeting report and recommendations). The next JTC 1/WG 9 meeting will be held 28 November - 2 December 2016 in Fairfax, Virginia, USA (see the draft agenda).
Current Projects - JTC 1/WG 9 is currently working on the following projects and technical contributions from US experts are needed to improve and progress the drafts:
- 2nd Working Draft of ISO/IEC TR 20547-1, Information technology - Big Data Reference Architecture - Part 1: Framework and Application Process
- Text for Ballot ISO/IEC PDTR 20547-2, Information technology - Big Data Reference Architecture - Part 2: Use Cases and Derived Requirements
- 2nd Working Draft of ISO/IEC 20547-3, Information technology - Big Data Reference Architecture - Part 3: Reference Architecture
- 2nd Working Draft of ISO/IEC TR 20547-5, Information technology - Big Data Reference Architecture - Part 5: Standards Roadmap
- Committee Draft of ISO/IEC 20546, Information technology - Big Data - Overview and Vocabulary
How to Join - US experts interested in participating on the US TAG to JTC 1/WG 9 on Big Data may contact Jennifer Garner, Director of INCITS Standards Programs (email@example.com) or can request membership on INCITS/BigData using the on-line INCITS membership application: https://standards.incits.org/kcpm/signup