New INCITS Technical Committee on Internet of Things
The InterNational Committee for Information Technology Standards (INCITS) has approved the disbandment of the INCITS Study Group on Internet of Things and the establishment of a new technical committee on Internet of Things (IoT), INCITS/IoT10, to serve as the US Technical Advisory Group (TAG) to JTC 1/WG 10 on Internet of Things (IoT).
INCITS/IoT10 will address standardization in the areas assigned to JTC 1/WG 10 which has the following terms of reference:
- Serve as a focus of and proponent for JTC 1’s IoT standardization program.
- Develop foundational standards for IoT related to JTC 1 for guiding IoT efforts throughout JTC 1 upon which other standards can be developed.
- The work will cover:
- Developing Terms and Definitions for JTC 1 IoT Vocabulary
- Developing IoT Reference architecture and other foundational specifications as JTC 1 standards
- Continuing the work begun in SWG on IoT on standardization gaps
- Establishing a liaison with JTC 1, ISO, IEC or other entities undertaking work related to IoT
- Encouraging the prompt and efficient exchange of information within JTC 1 and with ISO, IEC, or other entities working on IoT, as appropriate
- Monitoring the ongoing IoT regulatory, market, business and technology requirements
- Developing other IoT standards that build on the foundational standards when relevant JTC 1 subgroups that could address these standards do not exist or are unable to develop them.
The organizational meeting of INCITS/IoT10 will be held by WebEx on March 5, 2015 from 3:00 PM to 5:00 PM (Eastern) / 12:00 PM to 2:00 PM (Pacific). The meeting will be convened by Mr. Chuck Evanhoe from Evanhoe & Associates. Instructions for joining the meeting will be distributed to organizational representatives requesting membership on the new committee.
Membership on INCITS/IoT10 is open to all directly and materially affected parties. In order to comply with ANSI requirements, while all parties may participate in the discussion, only those organizations that are US National Interested Parties in the US may vote to establish a US position on TAG matters. Membership on INCITS/IoT10 is required for US experts to the JTC 1/WG 10 on Internet of Things. The 2015 fee for participation on INCITS/IoT10 is $1,310 per organization (one principal and unlimited alternate representatives). Organizations that have already paid the 2015 membership fee for their participation on the INCITS Study Group on IoT will not be billed for their 2015 membership on INCITS/IoT10.
INCITS/IoT10 will operate under the ANSI-accredited procedures of INCITS - see the INCITS Organization, Policies and Procedures. Organizations that request voting membership and attend the first or second meeting will attain voting rights immediately.
The final report of the JTC 1 Special Working Group on Internet of Things (JTC 1 N 12210 – excluding attachments) is attached and provides more detailed information on the scope of the activity that will be undertaken by JTC 1/WG 10 and the US experts who join INCITS/IoT10.
Requests for membership on INCITS/IoT10 should be sent to the attention of Jennifer Garner email@example.com.