New Task Group INCITS/Smart Cities
Organizational Meeting– December 2, 2020. The organizational meeting of INCITS/Smart-Cities will be held electronically via Zoom on December 2, 2020 (3:00 PM to 4:00 PM (Eastern) / 12:00 PM to 1:00 PM (Pacific)). The agenda, related documents and instructions for joining the Zoom meeting will be distributed at least two-weeks in advance of the meeting to organizational representatives that have requested membership on the new committee.
Background - At the JTC 1 Plenary in October 2015, JTC 1/WG 11 was established with the following terms of reference: Serve as the focus of and proponent for JTC 1’s Smart Cities standardization program.
- Develop foundational standards for the use of ICT in Smart Cities - including the Smart City ICT Reference Framework and an Upper Level Ontology for Smart Cities - for guiding Smart Cities efforts throughout JTC 1 upon which other standards can be developed.
- Develop a set of ICT related indicators for Smart Cities in collaboration with ISO/TC 268.
- Develop additional Smart Cities’ standards and other deliverables that build on these foundational standards.
- Identify JTC 1 (and other organization) subgroups that are developing standards and related material that contribute to Smart Cities, and where appropriate, investigate ongoing and potential new work that contributes to Smart Cities.
- Develop and maintain liaisons with all relevant JTC 1 subgroups.
- Engage with the community outside of JTC 1 to grow the awareness of, and encourage engagement in, JTC 1 Smart Cities standardization efforts within JTC 1, forming liaisons as is needed.
- Ensure a strong relationship with Smart Cities activities in ISO and IEC.
The INCITS Executive Board assigned TAG responsibility for Smart Cities to INCITS/IoT in April 2017. INCITS/IoT has now established a new Task Group dedicated solely to the program of work for Smart Cities.
Membership – Membership in INCITS is open to all directly and materially affected parties who return a signed INCITS Membership Agreement and pay the applicable service fees. The 2021 fee for participation is $2,275 per organization (one principal and unlimited alternate representatives). The membership cycle is December 1 through November 30. Note that since this Task Group is under the INCITS/IoT Technical Committee, membership in INCITS/IoT is required. The fee includes membership in both INCITS/IoT and INCITS/Smart-Cities. INCITS/Smart-Cities members will have direct access to JTC 1/WG 11 Smart Cities.
To comply with ANSI requirements, while all parties may participate in the discussion, only those organizations that are US National Interested Parties in the US may vote to establish a US position on TAG matters. A US National Interested Party is one of the following entities directly and materially affected by the relevant standards activity:
- an individual representing a corporation, or an organization domiciled in the US (including US branch offices of foreign companies authorized to do business in one or more states as defined by the relevant US State’s Corporation law);
- an individual representing a US federal, state or local government entity;
- or a US citizen or permanent resident.
Important - All organizations that request voting membership using the online application (https://standards.incits.org/kcpm/signup), return a signed copy of the INCITS membership Agreement to firstname.lastname@example.org and attend the first or the second meeting will attain voting rights immediately. Advisory (nonvoting) members must also submit a membership application via the online membership form and return a signed INCITS Membership Agreement. Others in attendance will be recorded as guests.
The Task Group will operate under the ANSI-accredited procedures for the InterNational Committee for Information Technology Standards (INCITS); (see INCITS Organization, Policies and Procedures). Additional information can also be found at http://www.INCITS.org and http://www.incits.org/participation/membership-info.